Four Week Tour of Thailand
(29 days/28 nights)
This is the big one; our extensive, month-long, tour of Thailand! From the mountains and hill tribes of the north, through the central jungle region and vibrant Bangkok, to the breathtaking national parks and idyllic beaches of the south, we will show you the very best that Thailand has to offer.
This comprehensive tour of Thailand takes you through the country from the northern mountains to the beaches of the south. The tour starts and ends in Bangkok with an internal flight from Bangkok to the city of Chiang Rai at the start of your adventure and a return flight from Krabi in the south, back to Bangkok. If you wish to spend more time on the beaches at the end of your tour, then this is easily arranged.
Meals are provided as outlined on the itinerary. If you wish for every meal to be provided, then this can be sorted too.
- We will collect you from the airport or other place by arrangement
- You will meet your English speaking guide and your driver who will take you to the delightful city of Chiang Rai
- After you have settled into your hotel, we will set out for the afternoon to visit the incredible ‘white temple’, Wat Rong Khun
- Your guide will show you the secrets of this temple, with its surprising interior murals
- There will be plenty of time to visit the night market of Chiang Rai, maybe tonight or maybe tomorrow; we’ll see how you feel after your journey to Thailand
- Your dinner is included tonight
- Breakfast at your hotel before early morning departure
- Travel to the region known as ‘The Golden Triangle’, where the countries of Myanmar (Burma), Laos and Thailand all meet
- Stop at the trading post of Mae Sai on the Thailand-Myanmar border
- Search the local market for souvenirs including jade, lacquer and gems
- There is a possibility of travelling for a brief spell into Myanmar, but this takes some time and will incur an extra cost for border crossings and entry visas
- Lunch is on the banks of the mighty Mekong river
- Visit the Hall of Opium and learn about the infamous history of the region
- A long-tail boat will then carry you down the Khong river and sample the rice-whiskey directly from the riverbank distilleries
- With no border control in this region, you are free to set foot in Laos
- You will return to your hotel in Chiang Rai to spend the evening as you wish
- Drive to the delightful town of Doi Mae Salong in the far north of Thailand
- Lunch in Doi Mae Salong
- Excursion to Chiang Dao National Park
- Visit the amazing Chiang Dao Caves with Buddhist statues amongst stalactites and stalagmites
- Return to Doi Mae Salong and sample some of their famous tea in a traditional teahouse
- We recommend that you take dinner in one of the many Chinese restaurants for which the town is renowned
- Breakfast at your hotel before early morning departure
- Early arrival at Mae Taman Elephant Camp
- Option to bathe the elephants (swimwear required)
- Elephant show
- Ox carting from hill tribe village
- Elephant ride through jungle
- Scenic riverside lunch
- Bamboo rafting
- Orchid farm
- Dinner at your hotel
- Breakfast at your hotel
- Travel to the picture-perfect town of Pai, nestling in a stunning mountain valley
- Pai is a lovely little community of markets, live music and guesthouses on the river
- Bathe in the Hot Springs and enjoy an hour-long northern Thai massage
- Take pleasure in the breath-taking sunset views over Pai Canyon
- We recommend that you dine out at one of Pai’s unique Thai/Jewish restaurants and then end your day at one of Pai’s celebrated live music venues
- Journey through miles of unspoiled countryside, along the renowned Mae Hong Son Loop
- The town of Mae Hong Son is home to two of the most spectacular temples in northern Thailand,
o Wat Phra That Doi Kong Mu with its awesome hilltop views
o and the beautiful Wat Jong Kham on the edge of the lake in town
- Visit the exciting Night Market on the edge of Mae Hong Son Lake and enjoy a delicious Thai dinner in the company of locals
- After dinner, take a romantic stroll around the lake with its illuminated temple reflections
- Today we will breakfast early before we depart for a full-day’s excursion to Doi Inthanon National Park
- Visit the stunning waterfalls of Wachiratharn and Siritharn
- Take in the dramatic views across the park from the King and Queen’s chedis
- Enjoy a hillside Thai lunch
- Travel to the top of Thailand’s highest peak, Doi Inthanon, home of endemic plant and animal species such as the green-tailed sunbird
- Walk the short Angkha summit trail, amongst the lush jungle vegetation
- Those who wish to, may also take in a more strenuous 2-3 hour hike through rainforest, rice fields and hill tribes
- Visit a Karen hill tribe village and a Hmong hill tribe market
- You will then travel to Chiang Mai, where you will stay for three nights
- Today you will visit the most famous temples in and around Chiang Mai
- A short ride out of town brings you to the colourful temple on the mountain, Wat Doi Suthep
- We then see the message trees and underground tunnels of Wat Umong
- City tour of Chiang Mai old town
- Visit the most famous temples of Chiang Mai, Wat Suan Dok and Wat Chedi Luang
- Tonight your package includes a traditional Khantoke dinner with Thai dancing
- Breakfast at your hotel
- Early departure to a local market where you will buy fresh produce for today’s Cookery School
- You will learn how to cook five delicious dishes and will eat these with other cookery students
- Eat, drink and shop on Chiang Mai’s most fashionable street, Th Nimmanhaemin
- Tonight we recommend that you enjoy dinner under the stars at the famous Night Bazaar
- Today we travel south to the elegant former capital of Thailand, Sukhothai
- You will visit the magnificent Sukhothai Historical Park World Heritage Site
- In the morning, your guide will show you around the outlying temples and shrines. You will visit the famous seated speaking
- Buddha, Wat Sri Chum, and Wat Sorasak, the bell-shaped pagoda surrounded by stone elephants.
- After a tasty lunch, you have a choice of afternoon activities; you can explore the expansive site on bicycle, or we can continue through the park by car
- Your hotel is close to the park.
- For dinner, we recommend that you try goo-ay dee-o Sukhothai, the famous, local noodle dish
- Early morning transfer to Ayutthaya, the ancient capital of Siam
- Visit the many pavilions and landscaped gardens of Bang Pa-In Summer Palace
- Take a long-tail boat up the Chao Phraya river to Ayutthaya island
- Catch an elephant taxi to the temple ruins of Ayutthaya including the famous three-chedi temple, Wat Phra Si Sanphet, Wat Phra
- Mahatat and the magnificent Wat Ratburana
- Dinner at your guesthouse.
- Full day excursion to Thailand’s oldest nature reserve, Khao Yai National Park
- Drive through the park looking for wildlife and then continue on foot through the majestic rainforest
- Swim below the wonderful Haew Suwat waterfall, made famous by the film, The Beach
- Continue your safari throughout the day until dusk, when elephants are most likely to be seen
- Return to your guesthouse for a late dinner
- Today you will travel to Bangkok, the pulsating heart of Thailand
- Your guide will take you on a city tour by sky train, tuk tuk and river express
- See the real Bangkok and enjoy fresh Thai food cooked to order
- Explore the markets of Chinatown
- Shop in the vibrant MBK centre and the ultra-modern Siam Discovery and Paragon malls
- Take a guided tour of the Jim Thompson House, a traditional teak mansion that belonged to the renowned founder of the Thai Silk Company
- Tonight you will dine and dance on an evening cruise through Bangkok along the Chao Phraya river
- Tour of famous Bangkok temples including those of the Reclining Buddha & Emerald Buddha
- Tour of the Royal Palace
- Walk through Amulet Market to Chao Phraya for riverside restaurant lunch
- Tour of Bangkok canals by longboat
- After dinner, experience the thrills and excitement of Muay Thai (kick boxing), or perhaps take a cocktail on one of the splendid rooftop or riverside bars or maybe visit one of the many live music venues for which the city is famed.
- Free day to relax in Bangkok – After two weeks travelling, we reckon that you deserve it!
- This morning you will leave Bangkok early to travel to the world famous Damnoen Saduak floating market
- Tour the floating market and the surrounding countryside canals by boat
- Step out of the boat and wander through the myriad stalls on the canalside – this is a photographer’s paradise!
- Eat a riverside lunch before transferring to your bungalow accommodation in Kanchanaburi
- In the afternoon you will relax in the gardens overlooking the river Kwai.
- Dinner will be cooked from local ingredients to your request
- Full day excursion around Kanchanaburi for a taste of the jungle and WW2 history
- Visit the War Museum and learn about the conditions that the allies had to endure during the Second
World War when building the infamous Death Railway and Bridge over the River Kwai.
- After viewing the bridge, take a train journey through the gorge, before eating lunch on the edge of
the river Kwai
- Float gently downriver on rafts made of bamboo, through pristine rainforest
- Return to Kanchanaburi for dinner at your bungalow hotel
- After breakfast we travel south to the sleepy, regional town of Phetchaburi.
- En route we will stop off at the Buddha caves of Tham Khao Luang – a stalactite-filled shrine!
- We then visit the glorious gardens and palaces of Phra Nakhon Khiri
- Lunch will be taken in Phetchaburi town itself
- A short drive brings you to ‘Thailand’s original seaside town’, Hua Hin
- Famed for its seafood and night bazaar, we recommend that you dine outside amongst the market stalls
- Free day in Hua Hin
- Hua Hin is Thailand’s royal beach resort and a favourite destination for Bangkok’s inhabitants. There
is a glorious white sandy beach that stretches for miles and a lively coastline with many fantastic places to eat. You may choose to lie back and relax, or perhaps hire a bicycle to discover more of the town and its surrounds.
- Transfer to Khao Sok National Park, which at 160 million years old is one of the oldest rainforests on our planet
- We will arrive in Khao Sok National Park late-afternoon and will head straight for your accommodation
- And what accommodation it is, for you will be staying in a floating bungalow right on the edge of the magical Cheow Lan Lake, surrounded by thick, lush vegetation and stunning rock formations
- You will have your own kayak with which to explore the water
- There are toilet facilities, but no shower – you swim in the cool lake if you want to wash!
- Enjoy the sunset over the water, before dining out under the stars
- After an early morning swim you will eat breakfast on the pontoon in front of your floating bungalow.
- Today you will be taken on a tour through the rainforest by a local guide who will tell you about the plants and animals that you see
- Lunch will be eaten out in the open
- Your jungle tour will continue after lunch and will take you past rivers and waterfalls and eventually back to your bungalow where you will be served cold drinks and dinner
- Before you leave the jungle, you may wish to have an early morning swim, or another walk amongst the trees, or simply relax in this unique and unspoiled location
- We now head for the sea and the island of Phuket
- Your transfer is to a west-coast hotel where you can relax by the pool or on the glorious beach. The rest of the day is yours to enjoy at your leisure.
- You may decide to enjoy a sundowner at one of the idyllic beach bars, before heading out for a delicious Thai dinner served under the stars
- Free time on Phuket
Thailand’s foremost, and most loved, beach resort is the island of Phuket. At 50km long and 20km wide, it is the largest island in the country, with much to explore and do. Here you will find some of the best cuisine in the country, a plethora of water-based activities, luxury spas, superb diving, inspirational golf courses, excellent shopping and unsurpassed nightlife.
The island has lush, jungle-clad mountains reaching down to untouched coves and secluded inlets, with silky soft sand and warm, crystal clear tropical waters.
With a wonderful blend of relaxation and excitement, it is no wonder that Phuket is the premier holiday destination in Thailand.
- Today you will have a luxury boat cruise through the wonderful Phang Nga Bay
- After breakfast at your hotel, you will depart for Ao Po pier, where you will board your boat
- Stop off at two beautiful islands where you will our paddle-men will take you on a guided tour of lagoons, hidden caves and amazing jungle scenery
- Sail to ‘James Bond Island’ where you can walk around and take photo’s of the famous Koh Tapu rock that appeared in the film, ‘The man with the golden gun’
- Back on board the boat, you will be served a delicious Thai buffet lunch, cooked on board the boat, whilst sailing for another heavenly island.
- On this island, you have the time to relax, swim, sunbathe or play with the canoes on your own.
Return to Ao Po pier and then back to your hotel
- We suggest that you take dinner al fresco, with warm sea breezes off the Indian Ocean. The choice of venue is yours. Will you choose a romantic seafront idyll, with palm trees and gently lapping waves? Or will you choose Patong; a rowdy strip of neon lights and late night rowdiness?!
- This afternoon, you will be leaving the island of Phuket.
- You will enjoy breakfast at your hotel before checking out. Your driver will look after your luggage whilst you set out with your guide to explore Old Phuket town, which was once a thriving merchant’s settlement
- Visit the magnificent Sino-Portuguese buildings and row houses
- We will walk past dazzling Chinese and Thai temples, before stopping off at the most wonderful of them all, the Shrine of the Serene Light
- After a yummy lunch at one of the many street cafes, we will head for the ferry port. It is time to say goodbye to your driver, but your guide will continue with you for the duration of the trip. Or, if you prefer, then we can arrange for you to continue your travels on your own and we will meet you at Krabi when your ferry arrives. The choice is yours.
- Your two hour ferry journey will take you to the breathtakingly beautiful islands of Koh Phi Phi, where you’ll be staying on Phi Phi Don
- The afternoon is yours to enjoy on the beach. Lie back and relax in the knowledge that you are now in paradise!
- If you wish to dive or snorkel, then there are numerous operators on the beach and the waters here are some of the best in Thailand
- Dinner is, once again, served under the stars
- The morning is yours to enjoy at your leisure, whether swimming in the beautiful, warm, oriental sea, walking along the jungle-clad beaches, or just chilling by the hotel pool.
- Today’s enchanting excursion will take you to Koh Phi Phi Leh, home of Maya Bay, made famous by the film, The Beach. But, we will not be there with the hoards of tourists who hit the island at lunchtime, for we leave on an exclusive afternoon and sunset cruise.
- Your boat trip will first stop at Viking caves, before heading for Pileh Bay for swimming, snorkelling and kayaking.
- You then head for the famous Maya Bay, where you have time to relax and watch the other boats leave as ‘The Beach’ gradually empties, until it is yours. It is a truly delightful place to be!
- After your time on Maya Bay, you will climb back on board for the sunset and all of its fabulous photo opportunities
- A hot dinner is then served on board the boat. But the day isn’t over yet...
- When it is dark, you will be able to enter the warm water for an incredible, psychedelic light-show of natural bioluminescent plankton in the water. A magical end to a magical day!
- After breakfast at your Phi Phi hotel, we will board the hour long, morning ferry to Koh Lanta
- After all of your exertions over the past week, the next two days are yours to enjoy at leisure on this stunning island
If you’re looking for somewhere far from the madding crowds, then Koh Lanta is the place to be. It is a beautiful island that has yet to be discovered by the tourist hoards. At 30km long and 6km wide, there is much to discover and, as the beach roads are flatter than on many of the neighbouring islands, this can easily be done by car, motorbike or your own tuk tuk!
Nine pristine beaches with soft, luxurious sand lie one after the other along the sunset coast. The coral reefs that surround the island are teaming with aquatic life and attract divers from around the world. Koh Lanta truly is an unspoilt holiday idyll with treasures a plenty.
- Your last full day of the expedition and another day to relax. Koh Lanta is much flatter than the other islands that you have been to, so it is easier to explore. You could hire a car or a motorbike, or how about being really adventurous and hiring your own tuk tuk!
- Koh Lanta is also larger than most of the islands in this region and there are still many beaches to find that will be deserted. The sand is a lovely, powdery and honeysuckle white, and the warm tropical sea is delightful
- You may wish to take a short hike to a waterfall through the dense jungle, go for a snorkel or a taster dive or maybe ride the elephants once more.
- Resorts on the north of the island are livelier and the best beaches are on the west coast
- Tonight is your last night and we have arranged for you to eat a traditional Thai banquet, before an early night...or one more night on the tiles – Thai style!
- After an early breakfast, you will leave Koh Lanta and your guide will ensure that you get to Krabi Airport with plenty of time to catch your flight back to Bangkok
- It’s time to say goodbye
- We are sure that it will be a sad farewell to Thailand, the Land of Smiles, but we are equally sure that you will take many, many happy memories away with you.
Services included in the price:
- Tour Guide: 1 car with driver and 1 English speaking guide will be provided for the first 22 days. For your week on the islands, your guide will be with you, but not the car!
- Accommodation: 1 twin/double room with air conditioning and private facilities
- Meals: As specified in the program (28 Breakfasts, 22 Lunch, 12 Dinner)
- Transport: Tours and transfers by air-conditioned vehicle
- Misc: Local English-speaking guides and all activities as specified in the itinerary, including admission fees, with instruction where necessary
- Internal Flights: Two internal flights are included in the package; Bangkok to Chiang Rai on Day 1 and Krabi to Bangkok on Day 29
- Airport Transfers: These are included at the beginning and end of the trip
Services not included in the price:
- International flights
- Drinks and meals not mentioned in the itinerary
- Tips for guide and drivers / Personal expenses