Chiang Mai Temples & City Tour
(Private Day Tour)
- Chiang Mai is renowned around the world for it’s incredible Buddhist temples. This tour will take you to four of the very best and includes a delicious Thai lunch in the Old City.
- Your guide and driver will collect you from your Chiang Mai hotel, or from the Airport
- You will travel about half an hour to the west of the city to the Temple on the Mountain, Wat Phra That Doi Suthep. The temple is one of the most famous in Thailand and offers unrivalled views of Chiang Mai town far below. This site was chosen by a white elephant 450 years ago when, carrying a relic of the Lord Buddha, he came to rest on the mountain.
- From the top of Doi Suthep mountain, your driver will take you through the dense rainforest that surrounds Chiang Mai, until you arrive at the Temple in the Jungle, Wat U Mong. Most of this unusual temple is built underground with chambers connected by winding tunnels. Look out for the hundreds of Thai proverbs that are to be found written in the trees outside the temple, of which many are in English!
- From Wat U Mong, it is a short hop to the splendid Wat Suan Dok with its picturesque garden of whitewashed chedis that house the ashes of members of the Thai royal family. The temple has an open and friendly feel to it and many of the monks will eagerly talk to visitors.
- Next, you will travel into the heart of Chiang Mai Old City. Surrounded by city walls and a moat that form a perfect square, the old city remains a lively area with much to see and do. This is where you will have a tasty Lanna-Thai lunch and a well-earned break.
- After lunch, your guide will show you the magnificent ruins of Wat Chedi Luang, with the impressive ruins of a stone chedi that, at one time, was the largest chedi in northern Thailand. This temple was once the home to the Emerald Buddha that resides in Bangkok. A jade replica of the Buddha was given to the city by the king of Thailand and now resides proudly in the temple.
- Chiang Mai has over 300 wats and we are sure that you will have enjoyed our selection of some of the very best. After your guided tour of Wat Chedi Luang, your guide and driver will take you back to your hotel, where your tour will end - unless you would like to see more, in which case that can easily be arranged!
|1 person||2 people||3 people||4+ people|
|Price in Thai Baht||5500||3900||3300||2800|
Services included in the price:
- Local Thai guide throughout
- Private vehicle with driver
- Entrance fees to all attractions
- Water in your vehicle and at lunch
What is not included in the price
- Drinks other than water
- Tips for guide and drivers / Personal expenses
Departure Time: 09.00 (other times available on request)
Duration: 6 hours
Departure Point: All city centre hotels or Chiang Mai Airport
Wheelchair accessible: Yes, but the tour will visit Wat Phra Sing instead of Wat U Mong
What to bring
- Please dress modestly. Sleeveless or strappy tops should not be worn and shorts, dresses or skirts should come below the knee. Shoes should be removed when entering a temple. Thank you for your consideration.